How To Handle Family And Friends Who Think Your Training Is Crazy
There is one thing to understand above all else when you ask yourself how you can handle family and friends who think your training is crazy.
The one thing to know is that; most people, whether they are family, friends or first time acquaintances will think that anything you do that is several levels above them or far from their norm is crazy.
Here are just a few examples:
- If you’re vegan people think you’re nuts and tell you that you’re going to die of a deficiency and then ask where do you get your protein?
- If you consciously decide not to have children many people will look at you like you have blasphemed their God. They will look at you in shock and near horror .
- Tell people that you’ve decided to sell all your possessions and travel the world for the rest of your life or until you tire of it. Then watch as they tell you the 501 reasons why that simply isn’t realistic and that you need to get your head out of the clouds and keep your precious job.
We’re sure you get the point, which is; when you tell people you’re going to do something, anything, that strays to far from their belief of what is realistic for them they will tell you you’re crazy.
Is Insane Fitness Really Insane?
When you take anything to that next level it becomes insane to people who think of that as being extreme.
But, is it really extreme.
The thing that’s going to define all of this for you is this next point.
You’re not crazy at all, you just think differently.
To the average investor Warren Buffet is an insane investor. But, we’ll bet that Warren doesn’t see himself as insane. In fact he might very well view average investors as the insane ones who work all day to buy their luxuries while he works to grow his investments and allows their income to buy his luxuries instead.
That happens to be one of the keys to becoming wealthy. You see your incomes as 1st and 2nd levels. Your income from your job, business or career is the first level, investment income is the 2nd level. You want to get to the point where you invest all of your 1st level income and live off your 2nd level income exclusively.
As another example:
Michael Jordon came an hour or two early to practice every day and was the last one to leave at night. Even his team mates thought he was crazy, but it’s one of the main factors that made him arguably the greatest basketball player of all time.
The above examples are a couple of people who have become the best at what they do.
People around them think they are crazy. There are stories of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s father reprimanding and even punishing him for lifting weights because no one else was doing it.
But you see, it’s the freaks who accomplish great things, normal people stay in the middle and are happy with that.
Based on the fact that you’re reading this we will presume you’re not normal.
So, How Do You Handle Family And Friends Who Think Your Training Is Crazy
There are 3 ways to deal with them.
- You can separate yourself from them and not speak to them or disown them, which will leave you rather lonely looking exclusively for like minded people to hang out with.
This is not practical for most people. However, it may be necessary if you want to become the best in the world at something. The reason being is that; it’s pretty tough to be the world’s best at something if you’re surrounded by negativity and nay Sayers.
- You can explain it to them and ask that they support you which will happen with some people and not with others. This is the route most take and they find it like the people in their lives to be a mixed bag of results.
- Or, you can be super proactive and revel in the fact they think you’re nuts which completely takes away any power that their negativity could possibly have on you.
When a friend or family member says something like: Your training is insane, you’re a nut job and you’re going to kill yourself. You can reply with Thank you! I’m really glad to hear you say that. Thank you for motivating me to go even harder on my next training session. In fact I’m going to dedicate it to you.
You can say things like: Yes, I could die doing what I love, which would be better than dying from falling in your home such as falling in the shower or down the stairs which claims over 13,000 lives each year1.
You could ask them to give up showering and driving since far more people die each year from those two activities than your style of training.
Tell them that you’re glad they think you’re nuts, it means you must be doing something right.
When you deal with it in this manner you take away any power they have and turn it into a positive force that drives you.
Revel in the fact that you’re different, fall in love with the fact that you’re a freak. It’s ok. Normal is boring and you’re not boring.
In The End
In reality you’re never going to change them so why even attempt to do so. Let them be who they are and just head them off at the pass, take away the power of their words by loving them and using them as fuel to stoke your already massive fire.